NSLI-Y is a unique educational experience abroad. Participants and their natural parents can expect the following of the NSLI-Y program experience:
• An immersion experience allowing participants to act as cultural ambassadors and experience a new way of life
• Rigorous language instruction and coursework
• Cultural learning activities
• Community service activities
• Host family experience in some duration with families vetted by NSLI-Y implementing organizations
• A limited degree of independence which may include independent free time and commute to school
• Dedicated staff who:
o Are available to students and natural parents 24/7 for emergencies
o Communicate in a timely, clear manner to students, natural parents, and NSLI-Y partners
o Ensure coordination of program mechanics according to NSLI-Y operating policies
NSLI-Y is NOT:
• An absolute guarantee of participant’s health or safety while abroad
• An individualized program for which the participant and/or natural parents can customize the program schedule, location, coursework, and/or host family composition
• A program that allows for the same daily routine, lifestyle, diet, activities, and freedoms that students experience in the U.S.
• A program that employs staff who can:
o Provide instant responses to routine, non-emergency questions, even after business hours or on weekends.
o Provide individual care to a participant like a natural parent can at home.