NSLI-Y is a unique educational experience abroad for over 600 U.S. teens annually. Participants and their families can expect the following of the NSLI-Y program experience:
• An immersion experience allowing participants to act as cultural ambassadors and experience local life
• Rigorous language instruction and coursework
• Cultural learning activities
• Community service activities, when culturally appropriate
• Host family experience in some duration with families vetted by NSLI-Y implementing organizations
• A limited degree of independence which may include independent free time and commute to school
• Dedicated staff who:
o Are available to students and families 24/7 for emergencies
o Communicate in a clear manner to students, families, and NSLI-Y partners
o Ensure coordination of program mechanics according to NSLI-Y operating policies
NSLI-Y is NOT:
• An absolute guarantee of participant’s health or safety while abroad
• An individualized program for which the participant and/or families can customize the program schedule, location, coursework, and/or host family composition or placement
• A program that allows for the same daily routine, lifestyle, technology access, diet, activities, healthcare, and freedoms that students experience in the U.S.
• A program that employs staff who can:
o Provide instant responses to routine, non-emergency questions, even after business hours or on weekends.
o Provide individual care or attention to a participant like a family can at home.