NSLI-Y is a unique educational experience abroad for approximately 600 U.S. teens annually.
Please note that program activities will vary by program and host location and may differ from past years. NSLI-Y may adjust or cancel program activities or components if needed, particularly for health and safety reasons.
Participants and their families can expect the following:
- An immersive environment allowing participants to experience the local daily life of the host community
- Rigorous language instruction and coursework
- Cultural learning activities
- A host family experience (if health and safety conditions allow)
- A structured schedule with a limited degree of independent activities, which may include free time to explore local restaurants and cultural sites, and commuting to school on public transportation
- Dedicated staff who:
- Are available to participants and families for health and safety emergencies
- Communicate in a clear manner to participants, families, and partners
- Ensure program implementation is in accordance with NSLI-Y operating policies and U.S. Department of State program standards
The NSLI-Y program cannot:
- Accommodate participant and/or family requests to customize the program schedule, location, coursework, and/or host family composition or placement
- Guarantee the same daily routine, lifestyle, technology access, diet, activities, healthcare, and freedoms that participants experience in the United States
- Provide an absolute guarantee of participants’ health or safety while abroad as there is inherent risk in any travel. However, the NSLI-Y program will take necessary steps to safeguard the health and safety of participants to the greatest extent possible
- Require staff to:
- Provide instant responses to routine, non-emergency questions, especially outside of regular business hours
- Provide the same degree of individual care or attention a participant receives by family at home.